Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Average Boy 3

Hip, Hop, Hooray!

by Bob Smiley as told to Bob Smiley




Easter is coming! Each year Mom buys a ton of chocolate eggs and hides them from my dad. Then on Easter morning, my brother and I try to find them before my dad does, which is getting tougher and tougher.


Last year he snuck into our room and turned off our alarm clock. We awoke to the sound of crinkling tin foil and yummy chewing in the hallway.
Like firefighters on a call, my brother and I jumped out of bed and into action. Of course, it would have been better if the ceiling fan was off before my brother jumped out of the top bunk—Ouch! The good news is he stayed focused and found three eggs before passing out.
Once we find the chocolate, we’re allowed to eat one piece before church. This rule was started a couple of years ago when my brother devoured eight Cadbury Creme Eggs right after he found them. Just to let you know, the number of Cadbury Eggs my brother can eat before getting sick is one. We found that out in the middle of church.


Church is always fun on Easter. I love seeing people who never come except on Easter Sunday show up not knowing what to do. I usually play a little joke on visitors by giving them tips like “When the preacher says good morning, we all shout back, ‘What’s good about it?’ ”
Most people figure I’m kidding. But last year Donny, our school bully, showed up with his mom on Easter. I told him we always sing “Amen” after each song. After the first song ended, Donny belted out a loud “Aaaaaaammmmmeeennnnnnn!!!” and then looked around at the silent room until his eyes locked on me.
I knew I would pay for it later, but it was really funny.
It was almost as funny as hearing his mom shout, “What’s good about it?” as our preacher started his sermon.


I also love the Easter feast. We have a meal so huge that there isn’t even room on the table for silverware! We all choose one utensil and go to the table. I’m excited this year because I remembered to buy a spork!
Food is a big deal at our house on any day that ends with Y. But on Easter, it’s extra special!
The main course is always a highlight. Last year we had turducken, which is a strange mixture of meat: to the best of my knowledge, it’s a chicken that ate a duck that’s already chowed down on a turkey. My dad says he can’t wait for the bearcowwhale to catch on!


Anyway, I love Easter for many reasons. But mostly I like it because it marks the day that we won! When Jesus came out of the tomb, He proved that not even death could defeat Him. And if we’re on His side, we can’t be defeated either. I may be average, but God sure isn’t!
Now if you will excuse me, I’m going for my eighth Cadbury Egg.
      
This article originally appeared in the April 2004 issue of Focus on the Family Clubhouse magazine. Copyright © 2006 by Bob Smiley. Illustration © Gary Locke.

3 comments:

  1. Do you have permission to put these up from Focus?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's already available online at clubhousemagazine.com.

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews